Five Points Jazz Festival
2014 Five Points Jazz Festival
The Five Points Jazz Festival, now in its 11th year, brings people together for a day of food, fun and fantastic music. The free festival takes place the third Saturday of May each year and celebrates the history of Denver’s Five Points neighborhood. Once known as the Harlem of the West, Five Points was home to several jazz clubs which played host to many of jazz music’s legends such as Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk and many more. Since its inception in 2004, the Five Points Jazz Festival has grown each year in size and popularity. In 2013 more than 16,000 people attended the festival to hear more than 20 local bands on six stages. On May 17, 2014, 23 bands are scheduled on seven stages. You won’t want to miss the Main Stage headliners, the Nelson Rangell quartet and the Brad Leali Orchestra. Full schedule of performers.
2014 also brings an extended series, Five Points Jazz Festival Presents: Rendezvous Sessions, monthly to the McNichols Building. Join us for a sneak preview of the great musicians who will be playing the 2014 festival. More information.
Returning in 2014 is also Five Points Jazz on Film. On May 15, we will screen a jazz-related film to help kickoff the weekend. Title and details to be announced.
2013 Five Points Jazz Festival
The 2013 Five Points Jazz Festival was held on May 18. This free community event celebrates the music, culture and history of Denver’s historic Five Points neighborhood, with performances highlighting many of Denver’s finest jazz musicians. Performances and activities take place in numerous venues in Historic Five Points, with food and art vendors along Welton Street.
For the past several years, the Five Points Jazz Festival has hosted a contest for the best pictures captured during the event and then asked the public to vote on their favorites. The 2013 Winners:
Super Collider Explosion by Thom Adorney
Dancing Girls by Stephanie Falcone
Camera: Nicholas DeSciose, AJ Cies, Bob Berg, Linda Sue Shirkey, Brenda LaBier, Thom Adorney, Eric Altman
Audio: Kevin Truitt
Time Lapse: Jackie Shumaker
Editor: AJ Cies
Director: Eric Altman
- Dec 09 Denver International Airport is proud to present seasonal live “Wintertainment”...
- Nov 04 Denver Arts & Venues invites you to provide one last...
- Oct 02 Mayor Michael B. Hancock, Denver Arts & Venues and the...
- Aug 13 A new exhibition featuring textile design has been installed at...
- Jul 23 The third annual Film Fiesta returns this Wednesday, showcasing the...
- Mar 9 Open Press 25th Anniversary Exhibit 10:00 AM
- Mar 9 Contemporary Perspectives of the Rocky Mountain Region 10:00 AM
- Mar 9 Family (4)-Prehistoric to Symphonic 2:30 PM