“ENRIQUE’S JOURNEY” IS THE 2012 ONE BOOK, ONE DENVER BOOK SELECTION
Sep 04 2012
"Enrique’s Journey" by Sonia Nazario is this year’s One Book, One Denver reading selection. Deputy Mayor Cary Kennedy and Arts & Venues Denver unveiled the book as determined by public vote at the Denver Public Library, Central Brand on September 4.
This is the ninth year of One Book, One Denver, Mayor Hancock’s citywide book club, building community through the shared experience of reading the same book. Denver citizens are encouraged to participate in the program by checking out or purchasing the book and attending free themed events and activities through October 31.
Enrique’s Journey is a true story by award-winning Los Angeles Times journalist, Sonia Nazario. She tells the unforgettable odyssey of a Honduran boy who braved unimaginable hardship and peril to reach his mother in the United States.
As an ongoing, key collaborator in this program, the Denver Public Library will circulate nearly 1,000 copies of "Enrique’s Journey" through its system in both English and Spanish. As this year’s major cash sponsor, McDonald’s is providing the books being circulated through the Denver Public Library system, as well as numerous promotional benefits.
There is something for everyone during the 2012 One Book, One Denver celebration. Choose your own FREE adventure:
- Book signings with the author at The McNichols Building
- Film series at Su Teatro
- Cooking classes at The Seasoned Chef Cooking School
- Dance classes presented by Community-Minded Dance
- Arts & crafts by Chicano Humanities & Arts Council
- Writers workshops presented by Lighthouse Writers Workshop
- Teen writing contest presented by Lighthouse Writers Workshop
- Radio drama adapted and performed by University of Colorado at Denver students and airing on Colorado Public Radio
- Poetry Slam by Café Nuba
- Dramatic readings by Colorado History Museum
- Book Discussion at Schlessman Family Branch Library
- Musical Interpretation by Scott Kinnamon and Friends
- Latino art exhibit at Museo de Las Americas and Regis University, Dayton Memorial Library
- Photo Contest: My Journey: Enter a photo that symbolizes a journey, yours or another’s. Presented by Arts & Venues Denver, upload your image to www.denverartsinteractive.org, November 1-16.
All events are free, but some require reservations. Visit http://artsandvenuesdenver.com/one-book-one-denver/ for complete details and event guide.